Legal Aid

The position regarding legal aid for parents of children abducted to South Africa :

The Family Advocate will bring an application on behalf of the left behind parent to have the child returned to the habitual residence. If required the Family Advocate’s Office in conjunction with the Legal Aid Board will assist the left-behind parent to obtain legal aid, in accordance with that country’s legal assistance rules and regulations.

In cases where children were abducted to signatory countries, that country is responsible to assist the left behind parent from South Africa with legal aid.