Vision and Mission
MISSION: To administer an efficient and responsive justice system.
OUR PRINCIPLES AND VALUES
- Commitment to constitutional values and a culture of human rights
- Rule of law
- Good governance
- Goal 1: Optimisation of the use of people, processes and technology to meet service delivery and good governance requirements
Invest in and develop people, processes and technology to ensure continued compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements and sustained public confidence.
- Goal 2: People-centred justice services that are accessible, reliable and efficient
Justice services which place victims, vulnerable persons and other court users at the centre of the justice system.
- Goal 3: Corporatized, cost effective and integrated quality legal services to proactively protect the interest of the state
A transformed and integrated state legal service is that offers quality, efficient and a cost effective service.
- Goal 4: Promotion of constitutionalism, human rights and commitment to international legal relations
Compliance by government departments with the Promotion of the Administrative Justice Act (PAJA) is substantially improved, citizens are better informed on how to exercise their constitutional rights, public engagement with relevant stakeholders, civil society organisations and community-based organisations is improved by public participatory forums and constitutional development is promoted.
- Programme 1: Administration
Purpose: To manage the department, develop policies and strategies for the efficient administration of justice and provide centralised support services. The table below shows the components of the programme.
- Programme 2: Court Services
Purpose: To facilitate the resolution of criminal, civil and family law disputes by providing accessible, efficient and quality administrative support to the courts and to manage court facilities.
- Programme 3: State Legal Services
Purpose: To provide legal and legislative services to organs of state, supervise the administration of deceased and insolvent estates, as well as the liquidation of juristic persons, the registration of trusts and the management of the Guardian’s Fund.
- Programme 4: National Prosecuting Authority
Although the NPA is funded through the Justice and Constitutional Development vote account, with the Director- General as the accounting officer, the NPA has its own Annual Performance Plan and Strategic Plan which is reported separately from the Departments Annual Performance Plan and Strategic Plan.
- Programme 5: Auxiliary and Associated Services
Purpose: To provide a variety of auxiliary services associated with the Department’s goals, fund transfer payments to the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC), the Office of the Public Protector, LASA, the SIU and the President’s Fund.
Follow this link to read the departmental Strategic Plan and the Annual Performance Plan.