Accessing the Guardian’s Fund
The Guardian’s Fund falls under the administration of the Master of the High Court.
It is a fund created to hold and administer funds which are paid to the Master on behalf of various persons known or unknown, for example, minors, persons incapable of managing their own affairs, unborn heirs, missing or absent persons or persons having an interest in the moneys of a usufructuary, fiduciary or fideicommissary nature.
Follow this link for more information on the Guardian’s Fund: http://www.justice.gov.za/master/guardian.html
Can I claim any allowance maintenance from the Guardian’s Fund, and if so, how?
The guardian of a minor/ persons incapable of managing their own affairs can claim maintenance/ allowance from the Guardian’s Fund. The Master is entitled to pay for maintenance, such as school and university fees, clothes, medical fees, boarding and lodging and any other needs that can be fully motivated.
Maintenance can be claimed by the guardian/tutor/curator/or person looking after the person of the beneficiary by way of lodging:
- Application form J 341 & J341A
- CEFTU 3 and copy of a recent bank statement (stamped and signed by the Bank),
- Guardian’s Fund Affidavit Form (with first applications)
- Form indicating the “Nature Assistance required from the Guardian’s Fund, and how arrived at” supported by quotations and accounts
- Certified copy of the applicant’s ID with both thumbprints
- Verification report of the applicants fingerprints*.
Payments can be made directly to the service provider, like schools, universities, bookshops, etc.
When can an applicant claim the invested money, and how?
A beneficiary can claim the invested money, as well as the accrued interest on reaching the age of majority, i.e. on the eighteenth birthday, marriage and declaration of majority by the High Court. However, a testator can stipulate another age when a beneficiary is entitled to the invested capital.
Should the beneficiary pass away before attaining the abovementioned age, the benefit will accrue to his/her estate and can thus be claimed by the Estate Administrator as appointed by the Master.
Untraced or undetermined beneficiaries
Money can be claimed by the beneficiary when the benefit comes to his/her attention by contacting any Masters Office directly without any third party assistance (e.g. Tracing Agents). The Masters Office will supply the necessary information and forms to be completed to claim this benefit.
When entitled, money can be claimed by way of lodging:
- Application form J251 & J251A
- Certified copy of the applicant’s ID with both thumbprints and
- Certified copy of the marriage certificate/order of court/ Appointment Letter (whichever applicable)
- CEFTU 3 and copy of a recent bank statement (stamped and signed by the Bank),
- Verification report of the applicants fingerprints.*
*NOTE: Fingerprints can be verified in one of two ways:
- If you are able to lodge your application personally, your fingerprints can be verified on site by also providing you green barcoded ID. For your convenience various offices countrywide can perform this function. See the list of Offices (MOVIT sites) providing this service.
- If you are not able to visit one of the abovementioned sites, you can attach your physical fingerprints taken by your local Police Station – upon receipt of the original application documentation; these will then be referred to Home Affairs, by Master’s Office, for verification. Note however that the latter may prolong the payment process.
How do payments take place?
Benefits are paid by means of direct deposit in the payee’s banking account by way of EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer).
Where can I lodge my claim?
Currently the Guardian’s Fund is being administrated by six (6) Master’s Offices - Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein, Kimberley, Pietermaritzburg and Grahamstown, however, you can lodge your completed application forms at:
What happens with the money if not claimed on time?
After the lapse of a period of thirty years, after money became claimable, and the money is not claimed it will be forfeited to the state. Every year during September the Master advertises in the Government Gazette and on the website, accounts that have been unclaimed. These accounts are only advertised for the first three (3) consecutive years after it became claimable.
Services rendered by the Guardians Fund are free of charge for payment of Inheritances and Maintenance allowances.
1st Floor, SITA Building, Cnr. Phalo and Rharhabe Avenues, BISHO, 5605
- M Payi, MoPayi@justice.gov.za
- S Mekute, 040 639 2079
- N Mpongoshe, 040 639 6079, NMpongoshe@justice.gov.za
- L Ndamase, 040 639 2087, LNdamase@justice.gov.za
- Phumeza Woli , 040 639 2079,PWoli@justice.gov.za
Bathurst Street, GRAHAMSTOWN, 6139
- Guardian’s Fund Office, 046 663 4004 - 5
Holy Cross Building, 7 Craister Street, MTHATHA, 5099
- Ntombodumo Ngolotyi, 047 531 2361, NNgolotyi@justice.gov.za
- Neliswa Fingwa, 047 531 2361, FFingwa@justice.gov.za
- Katamzi N N, NKatamzi@justice.gov.za
- M A Faxi , 047 531 2361, MFaxi@justice.gov.za
Master: Port Elizabeth
523 Govan Mbeki Avenue, PORT ELIZABETH, 6056
- Yoland Tembo, 041 403 5100, YTembo@justice.gov.za
- Naledi Mfundisi, 041 403 5100, NMfundisi@justice.gov.za
- Nandipha Ketshengana, 041 403 5600, NKetshengana@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Butterworth
52 Blyth Street, BUTTERWORTH, 4960
- Khulula Banettie, 047 491 3291, KBaneti@justice.gov.za
- Xolisa Ntsume, 047 491 3271, XNtsume@justice.gov.za
- Nuke Songezo
Magistrate’s Court: East London
Nr 4 Buffalo Street, EAST LONDON, 5200
- Gquma Mcebisi, 043 702 8039, MGquma@justice.gov.za
- Moses Xashimba , 043 702 8068, MXashimba@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Mount Ayliff
67 Church Street, MOUNT AYLIFF, 4735
- Ntombikho Ndevu, 039 254 0004, NtNdevu@justice.gov.za
- Tembeka Tunyswa, 039 254 0001
- Pamela T Mgojo, 039 254 0005
Southern Life Building, C/o Charlotte Maxeke and Aliwal Streets, BLOEMFONTEIN, 9301
- Guardian’s Fund Office, 051 411 500
Magistrate’s Court: Phuthaditjhaba
C/o Motlaung and Setai Streets, Setsing Complex, WITSIESHOEK, 9870
- Estates Clerk, 058 713 0071
Magistrate’s Court: Welkom
C/o Heeren and Buiten Streets, WELKOM, 9460
- Estates Clerk, 057 916 2500
Salu Building, C/o Thabo Sehume and Francis Baard Streets, PRETORIA, 0001
A. Mokhondo, 012 339 7881, email@example.com
M. Morudu, 012 339 7830, firstname.lastname@example.org
E. Thobakgale, 012 339 7713, email@example.com
G. Tlhapi, 012 339 7885, GThlapi@justice.gov.za
D. Galane, 012 339 7815, firstname.lastname@example.org
Magistrate’s Court: Atteridgeville
1 Hlahla Street, ATTERIDGEVILLE, 0008
- Estates Clerk, 012 373 1137
Magistrate’s Court: Palm Ridge
C/o K 146 Road and Palm Ridge Road, Palm Ridge, ALBERTON
- Khabagazi Sannah, 010 232 2000
- Kate Masondo
2 Devonshire Place, 2nd Floor, DURBAN, 4001
- Guardian’s Fund Office, 031 306 0123
241 Church Street, Colonial Building, PIETERMARITZBURG, 3201
- Guardian’s Fund Office, 033 246 7055/ 7055 / 7056 / 7085 / 7086
Magistrate’s Court: Empangeni
6 Union Street, EMPANGENI, 3880
- Primrose Gumede, 035 772 1711, PrGumede@justice.gov.za
Venda Government Building Complex, THOHOYANDOU, 0950
- Rambauli TC, 015 962 1027, TRambauli@justice.gov.za
- Ramurunzi T, 015 962 1027, TRamurunzi@justice.gov.za
- Rambau MS, 015 962 1027, TRambau@justice.gov.za
- Luntimbi TC (Cooks) , 015 962 1027
Magistrate’s Court: Barberton
President Plein and De Villiers Street, BARBERTON, 1300
- Eugene Mtsweni, 013 712 2104
- Weeken Magagula , WMagagula@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Bushbuckridge
Graskop Main Road, BUSHBUCKRIDGE, 1280
- Annah Thuputlane Mphokane, 015 355 3414, AMphokane@justice.gov.za
- Agnes Delsey Malele,
015 799 0211 , AMalele@justice.gov.za
Justice Chambers, 44 Shippard Street, MAHIKENG, 2745
- Lebogang Phefo, 018 381 0003, LPhefo@justice.gov.za
- Motswana Moreosele, 018 381 0003, MMoreosele@justice.gov.za
- Kingsley Domingo, 018 381 0005, KDomingo@justice.gov.za
- Mooka E M, 018 381 0005
- Suze Nakale, 018 381 0005, SNakale@justice.gov.za
- M Modibela, 018 381 0005, MModibela@justice.gov.za
- G J Ramothibe, 018 387 5027, GRamothibe@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Klerksdorp
PC Pelser Building, O R Tambo Street Entrance, KLERKSDORP, 2570
- Johnny Oageng, 018 464 9200, JOageng@justice.gov.za
- Masike Rampaku, 018 464 9200, MRampaka@justice.gov.za
- Sipho Zweni , 018 464 9216, SZweni@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Beaufort West
C/o Church and Bird Streets, BEAUFORT WEST, 6970
- Estates Clerk, 023415 1787
Magistrate’s Court: George
C/o. York & Courtney Street, GEORGE, 6530
- Yolanda van Milligen, 044 802 5800, YvanMilligen@justice.gov.za
Magistrate’s Court: Oudtshoorn
120 St. John Street, OUDTSHOORN, 6620
- Allison Dipholo, 044 203 6400/10-
Magistrate’s Court: Vredendal
24 Voortrekker Street, VREDENDAL, 8160
Ezelle Stevens, 027 213 2010, EStevens@justice.gov.za
Anene Patience, 027 213 2010, APatience@justice.gov.za
Lizelle Smith, 021 401 1608, LISmith@justice.gov.za
Abigail Jane, 021 401 1608
Quinton Marshall, 027 213 2010, QMarshall@justice.gov.za
General Contact details
Contact your nearest Master’s office (http://www.justice.gov.za/master/contacts.htm)
Master of the High Court, National Office: Customer Care
Tel: 012 406 4805
Fax: 086 544 4893
Postal Address: Private Bag X81, Pretoria , 0001
Physical Address: 22nd Floor,SALU Building, 316 Thabo Sehume Street, Pretoria