Morudu family finally finds closure through TRC

Minister RadebeThe freedom enjoyed by South Africans today came as a result of the sacrifices made by many political activists such as Moss Morudu, a “young lion” who was dedicated to fighting for his country’s liberation. As some of other young comrades who fought in the struggle, the unfortunate 22-year–old Moss was one of those who did not see the fruits of freedom they fought for.

In line with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s (TRC) recommendations, the Morudu family, with assistance from the TRC unit within the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, finally found closure through a spiritual repatriation of their beloved Moss Morudu.

The ceremony which took place on 25 October 2013, started with the Morudu family visiting Kaallagte Farm, outside Pretoria, the place where Moss is believed to have spent his last days. The family was then taken to Kgomo-Kgomo Village where a ritual to collect his spirit was performed and finally proceeded to Isivivane, at Freedom Park, where his spirit was then laid to rest.

According to the TRC, this kind of spiritual repatriation ceremony is performed in instances where the remains of the victim could not be found. In Moss Morudu’s case, the National Prosecuting Authority’s Missing Persons Task Team (MPTT), having conducted a thorough investigation into the whereabouts of the remains of Moss concluded that no remains could be recovered. It was therefore fitting to give closure to family through a spiritual repatriation.

Addressing the audience at the formal proceedings at Freedom Park, Deputy Minister John Jeffery said Comrade Moss was only 22 years old when his promising life was cut short by brutal forces of the previous inhuman and immoral system. “Former student activists from Mamelodi Township in Pretoria were recruited into Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) unit, consisting of Jabu Masina, Ting Ting Masango, Neo Potsane, Joseph Makhura and others during 1986 and were active in numerous MK operations between April and June 1986”, said the deputy minister.

According to Mr Jeffery, Moss’s story is not about the activists who paid a high price for the freedom of his people, but also a story of a loving parent who never stopped looking for her child. “In 1996 the family became aware of the rumour that TRC was in position of amnesty application relating to Moss Morudu’s disappearance. His mother, Ms Helen Morudu began attending every public hearing in Gauteng areas with the hope that she will hear the fate of her child”, the deputy minister said.

Moss’s sister, Ms Yvonne Morudu said Moss was the fourth child in the family. “He left us in 1987 after saying that he was going to exile only to realise that he did not even leave the country. We went through the TRC because some people asked for reconciliation while others did not. What we can do now as a family is to forgive but we will not forget what our brother had gone through. We are happy that we got closure although we cannot get the remains of his body,” said Yvonne.

She further explained that imagining what Moss must have felt like in his last minutes was a painful experience for the entire family.  “He died a very lonely death. I actually feel that he was killed like an animal,” concluded Yvonne.

By Mokgethwa Ngoepe and Benson Ntlatleng

06 November 2013